Thursday, July 14, 2011

Google+ First Impressions: Circles

I was invited to Google+ this morning. After playing with it for a little while (not long; I had actual work to do!), I have to say I think I'm going to like it. To me, it really has more in common with Twitter than with Facebook.


If you're interested in Google+, then you've probably already read at least a dozen explanations of how Circles work. Well, I'm going to try and explain it from my perspective.


When you sign in as a new user, Google+ gives you a couple of predefined Circles in which to place people you want to follow (Not "friend" as in Facebook, but "follow" as in Twitter). Let's think of an example:


Let's say I find you on Google+, and click on your profile page. We don't yet have a connection on the website. I see any posts you've made or things that you've shared, and marked as "Public" (As does everyone else on the Internet). I decide to add you to my "Friends" circle. You get an e-mail that I've added you, but there's nothing you can do about it. It's done. You don't have to accept or confirm anything (although I'm sure you could decide to block me, if you so wished).


Now, on my main feed, I will begin to see anything that you've posted or shared and marked as "Public". I will not see anything that you've contributed and marked for any of your circles, because I'm not in any of your circles yet. Furthermore, if you were to browse to my profile page, you would see things that I'm contributed and marked as "Public" or for my "Friends" circle (because you're in that circle on my profile), but not (for example) my "Co-workers" circle. You would not see any content from me on your main feed, because you haven't added me yet.


Let's assume, for a moment, that in response to your e-mail that I've added you, you decide to add me to your "Acquaintances" circle. I get the same e-mail that you did. Now, you will see anything that I share to "Public" or my "Friends" on your main feed. Similarly, I will continue to see anything you've shared as "Public", but now (Because I'm in your "Acquaintances" circle), I will also see anything that you've marked for "Acquaintances" as well.


I think this is a great concept, and I really hope it takes off! I think that the deciding factor though, is going to come when we see how many application developers jump on the bandwagon and start writing client applications for Google+. Almost nobody uses Twitter from the actual Twitter website, and Facebook is quickly following suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment