Monday, August 1, 2011

It is finished... No, wait! Just ONE more thing....


I was saying to a friend today that I always have such mixed feelings when a long-running project I've been working on comes to an end. On the one hand, I'm happy that it's finally over and I get to see it being used in a real world scenario (what every artist wants is to see his creation used and enjoyed). On the other hand, I feel sad because the project is over, and there's nothing more to do on it. There are no more features to add, there's nothing more to tweak, etc.

She said I was mad. That I should be happy that the project is over, forget about it, and move on to the next one. That comment took me aback slightly, because I'd always thought that everybody felt the same way I did about the subject.

But then I got to thinking about my general inability to finish things. All my life I've been this way. This is why I have so many unfinished, "shelved" personal projects at home. I work on them until I get bored or run out of ideas, and then they just sit there. Forever. I can't bring myself to just finish them off, already! It's also the reason I was never really any good at art in school. My teachers would always tell me how beautiful my drawings were, but they were never good enough for me. There was always one more little detail I wanted to put on, until eventually it degenerates into one big busy mess.

I've also been asked before if I'd ever tried to write a book. The truth is, I have, many times. They're all still unfinished. I guess subconciously I'd rather leave them unfinished and hanging in the air forever than face the eventuality of them being finished, and not being able to work on them any more.

So what's the verdict? Am I crazy? Who else feels the same way I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment