Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Music Censorship and Blasphemy

CensoredI've been noticing an alarming trend lately. Radio stations are being more and more strict with the words they censor out of songs, and are taking listener complaints and comments more seriously. I hear more songs on the radio where words like "shit" and "fuck" are blanked out, and certain high-profile artists are even releasing special "radio edits" of their songs where certain offensive words are replaced with others (Pink's "Funhouse" comes to mind, where the word "fucker" is replaced by the word "sucker" on the radio version).

But a couple weeks ago, I heard something that really and truly took the cake! Bruno Mars' "The Lazy Song" was doing pretty well on Highveld at the time. One Friday, it was the uncensored version; the following Monday I heard it on the radio, they'd ripped it to shreds! Just take a look at this:

[...]
I'm gonna stick my feet up, and then stare at the fan
Turn the TV on, throw my hands in my *****
Nobody's gonna tell me I can't

[...]
Tomorrow I'll wake up, do some P90X
Find a really nice girl, have some really nice ***
And she's gonna scream out,
This is great
(Oh my god, this is great)

[...]
I'll just strut in my birthday ****
And let everything hang loose
[...]

Now, I'm sure you can figure out what words the stars are meant to cut out. And to me, none of them are particularly offensive! I mean, when I'm sitting in front of the TV, I stick my hands down my pants sometimes, too. And everyone knows what sex is. Not to mention, what's wrong with being in your birthday suit?!

None of this would really bother me, but they left in the most offensive lyric in the entire song, to me! As a Christian, I find taking the Lord's name in vain way more offensive than talking about sex, your pants, or your birthday suit!

It's not just this song. Plenty of censored songs are like this. An unprovoked meaningless reference to the God we love and adore above all others is perfectly acceptable, but words like fuck and shit are not! This is not to even mention TV programmes!

I would like to propose that every Christian who gives a fuck start complaining, loud and constant, at the wanton and disgusting use of our Lord's name! Surely if this blasphemy is proved offensive and unacceptable to enough people, we can make a difference?

No comments:

Post a Comment